Election strategist Prashant Kishor called on former Congress president Rahul Gandhi. Reports suggest Sonia Gandhi met the poll strategist, and the discussions were regarding the 2024 Lok Sabha polls. The talks were about the 2024 elections, and reports suggest—no confirmation from Congress.
- Harish Rawat, the Congress State in-charge, said that discussions are taking place ahead of the Uttar Pradesh election, but that Punjab is not on the table.
- According to reports, Congress president Sonia Gandhi met with the poll strategist and discussed the 2024 Lok Sabha elections.
- The presence of Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, the Congress national secretary for Uttar Pradesh, gave the impression that the discussion was about other poll-bound states like Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, which will vote with Punjab early next year.
- On Tuesday, poll strategist Prashant Kishor met with Rahul Gandhi, the former Congress president, and Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, the AICC general secretary.
- The meeting fueled speculation that these discussions are part of a larger plan to unite opposition groups against the BJP.
- According to sources, there is an attempt to pull together all opposition parties, including the Congress, but the efforts are still in the early stages.
- Before the Assembly elections, the Congress high command is expected to propose a “formula” for resolving the state unit’s crisis.
Congress general secretary for Uttar Pradesh (UP), Priyanka Gandhi Vadra, also conveyed that the meeting could be about other poll-bound States. Uttarakhand and Punjab go to the polls along with U.P. early next year. Mr. Kishor has worked with Congress previously in all these three States.
Rahul Ji is a national leader. So many people meet with him to discuss important issues. He takes input from diverse sources. Prashant Kishor did not negotiate anything in regards to Punjab,” said Mr. Rawat.
Comes just weeks after he met Nationalist Congress Party chief Sharad Pawar twice regarding forming an opposition block to take on the Modi government. Kishor had commented that no Opposition front without Congress can be effective against the Narendra Modi-led BJP.
The meeting comes as Captain Amarinder Singh is giving final shape to proposed changes in his cabinet. The Congress high command plans to carry out an organizational reshuffle in the Punjab unit. Mr. Kishor’s meeting with the Gandhi siblings also comes just weeks after he met Sharad Pawar.